euRobotics opens its Call for the 2024 Georges Giralt PhD Award.
The aim of the “Georges Giralt Ph.D. Award” is to showcase PhD theses defended during 2023 in European Universities from all areas of robotics. Outstanding theses with strong theoretical contributions, a focus on professional applications or technology transfer, with a high degree of multidisciplinarity, or showing how robotics technologies can be applied to new domains, are eligible for the prize.
The award consists in a plaque and the publication of the thesis by Springer in the STAR series. It will be given to the winner(s) at the occasion of the next European Robotics Forum to be held the 13-15 March 2024 in Rimini, Italy.
- The award covers the solar year but the submission deadline is November, the 30th, 2023. The candidates whose defense is planned in December need to submit as well with an integration of information after the defense.
- The selection of the finalists will be announced mid-to end-of-February 2024, and these finalists are expected to give a 15-20 minutes presentation of their research at the Forum, since part of the award evaluation will be done on the basis of that oral presentation.
- The oral presentation is, by default, in person. Exceptions will be handled on a case by case by informing the board.
- The official date is the viva-voce defense. The finalists will be requested to prove it with a copy of the committee report or a mail from the tutor.
- The eligible countries corresponds to geographical Europe + associated countries in Horizon Europe funding program. This is the current list of associated countries: https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tenders/opportunities/docs/2021-2027/common/guidance/list-3rd-country-participation_horizon-euratom_en.pdf.
- Self-candidatures only are accepted.
- Submissions are done by sending an email to the George Giralt Award Committee phd.award AT eu-robotics.net after filling the form:
- The pdf thesis file should be unchanged wrt what sent to the committee.
- Each finalist will get a financial support for the travel of 500€ + Free ticket to ERF + free ticket to the dinner.
The jury for the Georges Giralt Ph.D. Award consists of members belonging to the community of euRobotics, check their names and the former award winners here.